Sunday 6 March 2011

(Not quite) Barefootin in Ballycotton

I finished off my highest mileage week ever with the Ballycotton 10 today, pushing the 90 mile barrier for the first time. Needless to say I was taking in the sights for most of the race and only began to push the pace over the last few miles.
.
Following a 5 mile warmup with Paul (easy to spot the ultras) I donned the vibrams for the first time in a race. We got to the start with about 10 minutes to spare and consequently were placed towards the back of the 2,500 pack. Not too bad as the last thing I wanted was to get dragged out too fast. However I didn't realise that it would take me over 2 miles before I could run un-impeded. Following a first mile on the wrong side of 8 minutes (Paul had ducked and weaved through the crowd much more efficiently than I had) I settled into a 7:30 pace for a few miles with the vibrams feeling very comfortable and the aches and pains felt during the warmup miles long gone. I knew I needed to up the pace a little to get under 75 minutes (unofficial target) but there was plenty of time for that during the closing 5 miles. I passed through 5 miles with about 37:55 on the watch and the HR still on the right side of 140 (25 seconds off 75 minute pace). Over the next few miles I pushed the pace towards 7:00 as I had one or two targets in sight. I passed a guy wearing vibrams around the 7 mile mark - he wasn't making a sound compared to the flat-footed slaps I was making with every footfall - you could hearing me coming a mile off.
.
As the finish line got closer I pushed under 7:00 pace with my HR climbing steadily through the 150's and into the 160's, averaging about 6:43 for the last 3 miles and coming in a tad slower than I did in Dungarvan - 72:26. The only disappointment from the day was the chip I discovered on my Ballycotton Mug when I got home.
.
I travelled down with Pat and Thomas who both Pb'd on the day finishing a few 100 places ahead of me.
.
My main run of the week was a 3 hr 15 min outing yesterday morning leaving the house just after 7 - running into town along the Lee Road, out the Straight Road, back in the Model Farm Road, a few grass laps of the Farm and home via the Curraheen Road, with a 500ml bottle of High Five for company. While I felt a bit tired during the first 5 or 6 miles I got into a bit of a grove during the 2nd hour, churning out mile after mile at just under 8:00 pace while maintaining a relatively steady HR. While my HR pushed towards 140 over the latter miles the pace still remained sub-8 minute which is a good sign that my aerobic conditioning is continuing to improve - the next MAF test will tell.
.
.
Mon 28th Feb
a.m. 5.28 miles @ 8:40 pace & 116 HR - recovery run in the vibrams
p.m. 5.51 miles @ 8:07 pace & 130 HR - legs felt heavy
.
.
February - 279 Miles
.
.
Tue 1st Mar
a.m. 5.51 miles @ 7:41 pace & 136HR
p.m. 10.16 miles @ 7:49 pace & 129 HR with 5 x 1 mile @ 7:16 pace
.
Wed 2nd Mar
10.39 miles @ 8:04 pace & 134HR ( Avg HR 164 for 1st mile???)
.
Thu 3rd Mar
10.76 miles @ 7:52 pace & 128HR)
.
Sat 5th Mar
25.14 miles @ 7:45 pace & 132HR
.
Sun 6th Mar
17.96 miles @ 7:50 pace with 10 miles @ 7:15 pace & 140HR.
.
.
Base Week #6 (Run 90.65 miles, Bike NIL, Swim 0.75km)
.
.

8 comments:

  1. Nice meeting up today - it's been a while.

    Looking good for Connemara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes, cracking run in the vibrams. nice work grellan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good mileage and paces for the week. You are getting into good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes as Tokyo racer.

    Grellan so was there any discomfort during and after running in the V5Fers?

    Also are you losing any weight with all this mileage?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 'chip' on your mug, very disappointing indeed, I want at least a fish as well :]
    Good week of training, looking forward to see how you go in the ultra event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you too Thomas.

    Cheers Marty - hope you're recovering for Brighton.

    Yeah Bob, it's slow but steady progress. The high volume is tiring so I am looking forward to the taper in 2 weeks.

    Scott, no discomfort at all. In fact my feet felt great. The balls of my feet were a bit tender when walking around in them afterwards but that soon passed. Weight is slow to come off - 84kg on Sunday Morning (would like to get below 80)

    Rick, the Ballycotton mug is sacred. Perhaps you might go the ultra route yourself after running 21+ miles during a 20 mile race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chip in the mug won't spoil the taste of the tea. A perfect mug for work!

    Good to see you sticking to the plan re the training. Nice going with the 10 miler - 630 H/B per km is a fitness level I dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My car doesnt do that type of weekly milage Grellan good stuff keep it going.

    ReplyDelete