Saturday 19 March 2011

Cruiserweight

I started the year weighing 86.6kg (191 lbs).
.
I started last Saturday's long run weighing 82.9kg (182.8lbs) and finished it 1kg lighter and having taken on about 500ml of fluids (0.5kg) - so all-in I lost 1.5kg over 3.5 hours - or 0.57kg/hour. Lest you think I've discovered the quick road to weight loss it was all fluids and was put back on over the course of the following 24 hours as I re-hydrated.
.
This morning before my long run I weighed in at 81.4kg (179.5lbs) and returned with only 79.6kg hanging off my bones after taking on about 700ml in fluids - so an overall loss of about 2.5kg over 3:45 - or 0.67kg/hour (on a warmer day than last week). Cetainly on race day i'll be taking on more fluilds - somewhere in the region of 500ml per hour (0.5kg) - still less than what I expect to lose through sweat (blood and tears!).
.
In boxing terms I am in the cruiserweight division (175 to 200 lbs) which is between light heavyweight (168 to 175 lbs) and heavyweight (>200lbs). and there I was thinking I was wasting away.
.
Todays run was the last and longest of my long training runs clocking in at 29.17 miles over the 3:45 hours. My heart rate was higher than I would have expected creeping up over the 140 bpm early in the run and finishing up at 152 over the last mile. The average pace of 7:42 partly explains the increased HR - perhaps the previous 3 weeks training explains the rest. The combination of perpeteum and endurolytes (mixed with some dilute High 5 to neutralise the taste) worked reasonably well and the legs held up pretty well with the rising HR ensuring the pace remained reasonably stable throughout (Slowest mile 1 @ 8:03 & fastest mile 21 @ 7:26). There's no doubt about it but the longer the run the more mentally challenging.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment