Wednesday 2 June 2010

New Departures

I competed in my first ever track race last night at the first of the Cork Graded T&F meets of the summer. On the cards was 200m, 1500m, 4 x 400m, long jump and shot put. To be quite honest I felt a wee bit out of my depth with all those "real athletes" warming up around the track.
.
My first (main) event was the 1500m, which was divided into three races - senior men (the sub 5 minute boys), women (the remaining men could have run with them but our male egos wouldn't let us) and masters men (at last, a reason to feel relieved because of my age).
.
From the off I tucked in behind club mates Michael, Joe and Pat and pretty much kept formation for the 3.75 laps - more like a fast interval than a race in that I was happy to keep on their heels at a steady pace. I felt like I upped the pace over the last lap to keep position but it was more likely an increase in effort just to stay on pace. I was reasonably pleased with my finish time of 5:05.5 (equivalent to a 5:28 mile) which is a PB for a new distance. If I was on form and had put in some specific training Mcmillan would give me a 4:49 for 1500m based on my 10 mile PB at the end of January - so there's something to aim for?
.
My 2nd event was the 4 x 400m relay where I did the 2nd leg for the mixed Eagle team - can't say what my individual time was given that I swapped the garmin for a baton (couldn't manage both).
.
I finished off the evening with a few throws of the shot where I missed the top spot by 2 cm. Then again I fouled my best shot by walking out the front of the circle after the throw (that's a no no apparently). There's a chance for a rematch on July 27th - better do some weights and pump myself full of protein.
.
Overall I was glad I went along as I enjoyed myself and there was great support from the club.
.
Results are here.
.
.
April (Run 130 miles, Bike 247 miles, Swim 14,500m)
May (Run 142 miles, Bike 277 miles, Swim 12,500m)
.
.

8 comments:

  1. Did you wear spikes Grellan? I've always wanted to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice going Grellan !

    Looking forward to doing one of those track races after marathon !

    Pat might give ya a run for your money in the Javelin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5:28 mile is not bad, but I'm sure you could break 5 minutes fairly easily after a bit of speedwork.

    But I'm far more impressed by the shot put. Personally I'd be pleased to get that thing far enough not to break my toes, and that's being ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No spikes Scott although it would be nice to try them out alright.

    Kevin, i'll give the javelin a go when it comes up later in the summer - just stay well out of my way. I heard it was just yourself and Pat at the track on Tuesday - probably talking about which side of Mick Rice you would be at on Monday.

    Thomas, I have shorter toes than you. I did the shot years ago in school and generally won as I was the only person that showed up. I was hoping for the same on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you're beocming a real multi-event athlete! Decathlon next stop!! Pity they don't include swimming and cycling too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the races, well done! I'm impressed. I'll be using you as inspiration as I race my first mile event on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee Evans Javelin;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0j4FkbOgIY

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exciting. Yes, sub-5 for the metric mile definitely on - easy to work out the pacing too - 80 second laps.

    I'm relieved to say that my shot PB is still superior - something over 8 metres - can't remember exactly! And I also note you were 'only' 3rd female. Man-up next time and hang onto the tail of the field in the open men's division ;)

    ReplyDelete