Sunday 23 December 2007

Need some easy running

I just finished my 15.3 mile long run this evening (had to wait for Abina to come home from Christmas shopping with the eldest two - always goes on longer than planned) I was left entertaining 6 kids between the ages of 4 and 8 (the 4 and 8 year old were mine). I usually do my long run on Saturday morning but I didn't get up on time. I'll have to kick my drinking habit. Instead I managed a 6.4 mile "barefoot" run to the park - running on grass/mud and gravel paths has it's own challenges. Still, everything went fine and my feet all the better for it. My legs certainly felt heavy today, especially towards the end of the run. I dressed warmly with 2 tops, tights and a woolly hat and was overheating by mile 2 - it got better later when the headwind cooled me down. I was aiming for 15 miles over about 2 hours (8 minute pace or slightly under). However I overshot the distance slightly and undershot the time to give 15.3 Miles in 01:57:17 (07:40 pace). While 7:40 pace is within my base pace range it is on the lower side and today I certainly could have done with taking it easy and letting the pace go over 8 minute miles. 61.5 Miles this week. First week over 60 miles since tapering for Dublin City Marathon. Tomorrow calls for a rest day on my programme, and I think I'll take it as I intend to run the goal mile on Christmas morning and see how far I can get under 6 minutes (if at all). Also I turn 42 tomorrow and will certainly get a lie-in if I want one. I don't know how I missed out on being called Noel. Happy Christmas to all.

2 comments:

  1. Grellan - A very happy Christmas wish for you and yours.

    Oh, and a belated congrats on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really possible to do a "barefoot" run on a gravel path? I can only imagine how uncomfortable that can be.

    Merry Christmas, and happy birthday. My sister-in-law was born on the 25th (she hates that fact).

    ReplyDelete