Saturday 27 July 2013

Summer Camp

I spent that last three weeks conducting a few experiments to see how my body would react to a few different stimuli, the outcome of which would help me decide  my next race. As I was on holiday I did not have the distraction of work to get in my way.


The first week was all about getting long hilly miles into my legs to build leg strength and further boost my endurance base. As I was in Waterville for the week I took to the  hills of the Kerry Way, with more than 50% of my running (and walking) off road. Rather than tire myself out with a single long run each day (the aim was to cover 20 miles minimum daily) I split most days into morning and afternoon runs, which fitted pretty well into the family schedule as my first run (and shortest) was done and dusted before the kids rose in the morning and the second run while they were at a 3-hour summer camp at Derrynane Beach. The sun was splitting the stones each day, which meant I carried a backpack with a 750ml bottle of water and a sugar hit (apple/pear) for my afternoon forays.


As the week wore on the start of each run became more and more sluggish but surprisingly there was none of the expected muscle soreness of repeated runs on unfamiliar hilly terrain and after the legs warmed up each run felt the same as the one before - perhaps my pace suffered but it was difficult to tell given that most runs were different and average paces varied up to 13:30 per mile (the views were worth it though). As the kids had no camp on the Friday I decided to complete one long loop of the Kerry Way, starting and ending in Waterville, leaving shortly before 6 with the exact distance unknown but somewhere close to  a marathon. I arrived back in Waterville shortly before 11 with about 25 miles on the Garmin so I decided to do a loop of the town to get up to 26.25 and cooled off in the sea - which was the standard cooldown each day.

 











The113 miles for the week is just 1 mile short of my longest weekly mileage but with 15,000
 feet of elevation gain over the 5 days (Saturday and Sunday were rest days) it was the most challenging, slowest (average pace of 11:08) and most enjoyable weeks running, jogging and walking. If I add in the twice daily long runs of the previous Saturday and Sunday the total 7 day mileage amounts to 156 miles (avg 22.3 miles per day) - not quite 10 in 10 but good enough for me. After that I was pretty sure what my next race would be.


The Only Way Is Up
 

7 comments:

  1. I knew it! Great choice!!!

    Do you need a crew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have half a crew Thomas and was going you contact you once I got confirmation on a full crew, (which i'm pretty sure of) with a view to sharing resources if needs be.

      E-mail me on grellanDOTmcgrathATgmailDOTcom

      Delete
  2. Kerry way ultra it is so? 200 km?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right too Grellan. I got it right first time. A fantastic challenge. You will be well able

      Delete
  3. Go n'éirí an bothar leat mo chara.

    Very best of luck with it K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100 miles on the flat will be a breeze after that week. Looking forward to seeing how you go.

    ReplyDelete