Saturday 16 July 2011

When is a race not a race

It's not every day you get a PB, certainly not a PB where you come last and definitely not a PB where you come last and are only 6 or 7 seconds outside the world record - top class field. Well that was me in the 100m final at the Cork County Junior & Masters 2011 Track & Field Championships last night. Luckily I did not have to go through the heats and semi-final due to my form coming into the event.
.
In summary my warmup strides were faster than my actual race, I couldn't use the starting blocks for fear of falling over 10m into the race and I did not want to DNF, I still had to get down on my knees for the ready, steady, go - flashbacks to racing my brothers on the beach as a kid. I was left standing over the first 20m and never regained my...ahem...lead. There were three in my age group (M45), the rest were older, I think the winner was over 60 - not fair putting the big boys in the same race - still I got a bronze medal for my effort (well I will when they figure out I came third). What possessed me I hear you say - I don't know, unknown territory?
.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to wait around for the medal ceremony as I had to head to a funeral and forgo the possibility of more silverware in the shot and javelin, the other events I had entered for. All I can say is roll on 2012, bring it on!.....and who knows the other 2 guys in my age group may not show up.
.
. I did come out of the championships with a slightly dodgy right quad (this is beginning to sound like Dervla O'Rourkes' Blog) which wasn't the best preparation for this mornings 15 mile "Maxi-marathon" in Killarney which had a substantial downhill section - not good for quads.

.

Question: If a mini-marathon is anywhere from 3.8 (Cork) to 6.22 (Dublin) miles and a maxi-marathon is 15 miles, how long is a marathon?

.
Answer: As long as you want it to be.
.
Although if you favour the logical side of the brain and a "mini" and "maxi" are equidistant from the "normal" marathon you might come up with 10 miles or thereabouts. Either answer will do.
.
Anyways, I was up this morning at the unearthly hour of 4:45 (When Thomas normally returns from his morning run) to travel to Killarney with John D and Donal (thanks for the lift Donal) so that we could catch a bus for the 8 a.m. start of this point to point race taking in the spectacular scenery of the lakes of Killarney.
.
.

Lakes of Killarney (Ladies View)

.

Thomas was at the start line well before us anxiously looking for someone to pace off. As John had a camera for taking pictures en route I suggested he track Pat O'Connor who was in similar shape and also intending to race. I did suggest to John that he run ahead of the two lads and take photos of them crossing the line, which they would appreciate ;)

.

The day was overcast with a threat of rain, after all we were in Kerry - rain capital of the world.

.

Here's how my race went:-.

  • Uphill for the first 1.42 miles at a relatively easy pace - Mile 1 in 7:40
  • Opened it up a little for the downhill miles Miles 2 to 4 in 7:00/6:15/6:40
  • John was lamenting the grey day as he wasn't getting any good photos so I suggested he scoot along to the finish and take finish photos (including mine) - and the fecker did exactly that - releasing the brakes and powering off down the hill, leaving a wake of runners behind him.
  • Levelled off a bit from mile 4 to 5 and more downhill until the 7.5 mile mark, which I passed in 49:57 (15 mile 1:40 pace) - I was feeling pretty good at this stage - Miles 5to 8 in 6:46/05/15/40.
  • Some of the early mile markers were off (we were told that there were no markers as they had been pulled out by pranksters during the night)- the 10k marker came before the 6 mile one. The later markers appeared ok but were 0.1 mile short compared to the Garmin distance - "good, a short maxi is just what I need as I am beginning to feel the pressure".
    • I slowed as the course levelled out - Mile 9 was my last sub 7 minute mile at 6:56. Mile 10 in 7:13 (1:07:38)
    • The remaining miles were confidence bashers as those I had passed now began to pass me back as we moved off the road into Killarney National Park where the normally welcome paths killed my pace with the constant minor grade changes. I suffered on resigned to the fact that my legs were not yet prepared for the "speed/endurance" required for the "shorter" race.
    • I crossed the HM timing mat in 1:29:12 (although the Garmin displayed 12.99 miles). Shortly after I was passed by a runner and again during mile 14. I could hear the footsteps of another runner behind me coming towards the finish but I managed to stay ahead of him before crossing the line - not that there was any increase in effort from me - just a "I hope to fuck he doesn't pass me" prayer. Can't beat the power of a well timed prayer.
    • I finished the 14.91 (Garmin) mile race in 1:43:08 - ahead of my 1:45 target, but had to work harder than I expected - Miles 11 to 14.91 in 7:05/15/16/12/6:38.
    • John was on hand at the finish line to take my photo - although he hasn't sent it on to me yet.

    .

    .
    Thomas and Pat had a right old battle for 2nd and 3rd M40 with Thomas hanging on for the win in a very impressive 1:xx:xx (I can't steal his thunder) - 8th overall.
    .
    My efforts got me 39th out of about 700 starters (although this should be put in context - it was primarily a fun event - borne out by the fact that I saw some runners recovering with cigarettes)
    .

    5 comments:

    1. So, which is your stronger event, 100m or 100km? After all, you never got a bronze medal in 100k!

      Pat's an extremely good sport.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I bet that the recovery from the 100m will take longer than the 100k!!! Nice recovery run today btw!

      ReplyDelete
    3. If you raced Bolts over a 100m and the 100k I'm sure you would come out the winner.
      The downhill race sounded like fun!

      ReplyDelete
    4. super-impressive 15mi time in the aftermath of a 100k. great running grellan

      ReplyDelete
    5. Kerry rain capital of the world....I love it,my mother just returned from her yearly pilgrimage back home for her b'day......and said it rained most of the fortnight!!!

      ReplyDelete