Sunday 10 October 2010

Recap

It took a week for the official results of the Cork to Cobh race to come out, placing me 81st out of 848 finishers in a time of 1:39:57. I determined my splits for the race using the Garmin splits of fellow club mates Paul and Derek (thanks guys)
Coke Stop - 10 miles in - wheels getting wobbly
Splits
6:47, 6:36, 6:34, 6:41, 6:37 (33:14)
6:33, 6:29, 6:35, 6:31, 6:42 (32:49) - 1:06:03 for 10
6:45, 6:49, 6:47, 6:55, 6:39 (33:54) - 1:39:57 for 15 The fade over the last 5 miles is quite obvious from the splits although not as bad as I thought at the time. The first 5 miles in 33:14 was steady, increasing to 32:49 for the middle 5 as Paul pulled me along and dropping off to 33:54 for the last 5.
100 yards to go.
It’s been a very quite week since the race as I only managed to get two runs in. The first was the Tuesday track session – a repeat of last weeks 4 miles @ about 6:40 pace. I held back from pushing the pace too much as my calves are still getting used to running in the Vibrams and were tight following Sundays race.
The second was the hilly 10.5 mile Club run over the Viaduct loop on Saturday morning, again in the vibrams. It wasn’t my feet I was worried about though as I was coming down with a cold and spent the run sweating out the three generous hot whiskeys I had taken the night before. I though I would repeat the hot whiskey trick to get me in shape for today's County Novice and Masters Cross Country in Carrignavar, although it had the opposite effect - waking up this morning feeling worse with the cold moving down to my chest. So I was consigned to the sidelines cheering on the rest of the Eagle team.
With about 18 miles for the week it’s time to up the mileage and improve my endurance base.

3 comments:

  1. That's not too bad a fade. Top-100 is good going as I know how competitive running is over there.

    I like the Scott-Brown-style beard - got to run fast with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice run, Grellan, and good that you were able to kick in the last mile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the beard makes you look very hard! But fair ;)

    ReplyDelete