Sunday 28 February 2010

Filling The Void

While I welcome the break from high mileage that a taper brings, running no miles at all is tough as I have to fill my time with something else and to-date that has been eating and drinking and a bit of biking. The eating is winning out - I still have the same appetite I had on 65 mile weeks and I can now drink the night before my zero mile long runs, which I did in spades when my brother stayed over on Friday night.
.
This morning I had the welcome distraction of helping out at the annual Eagle AC 5 mile road race in Carrigaline, which went off without a hitch - and I didn't eat or drink too much either.
.
I continue to knead away at my calves with the foam roller so hopefully recovery is happening under the surface. I'll resist the temptation to run for a few more days as the benefit to be gained at this stage is purely psychological.
.
Marathon Training Week # 14 - 14.3 Miles
.
February (Run 213 miles, Bike 70 miles, Swim 9km)
.

7 comments:

  1. The weather isn't looking great for Barcelona unfortunately.

    Any idea what kind of plan you're going to put together between Barcelona and Connemara Ultra?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, I was hoping for cool temperatures. So wet and wintry isn't too bad at all - what i'm used to.

    The plan between Barcelona and Connemara will hopefully include a lot of cycling, especially in the first few weeks of recovery after Barcelona. There'll be no very long runs - Perhaps a few at 18 to 20 miles, depending on recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with it. Getting to the start with the calf feeling normal is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff. I'll look out for you at the start line (Barcelona and Connemara!). I'll be wearing a blue Boards AC singlet. Best of luck with the last couple of days of taper. Hoping the wind dies down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grellan,

    Good luck. The main thing (which you already know) now is positive mental attitude and imaging. As you've run Barcelona before the course should hold no fears for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck, all the hard work is long done and time to reap the rewards. RICE the leg and you'll be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck in Barca, Grellan.

    ReplyDelete