Wednesday 11 June 2008

I'll Tri Anything Once

Not much to report on the running front as I promised myself a months rest after the Cork Marathon to recover from recent injuries. Well a month is a bit long - maybe 2 weeks.
.
I did run 5 miles on Monday (imagine, no run for 7 days - longest interval since I started running) and while I felt good throughout, my calves were tight afterwards and I had an ache in my left IT Band about two hours after while sitting at my desk (A quick walk around soon sorted it out though).
.
While I haven't been running, I have managed to cycle about 70 miles in 3 outings over the last week. I was (un)fortunate enough to celebrate my post Marathon recovery beers with some tri-athletes who had taken part in the Marathon relay and who told me of an upcoming triathalon they were participating in with some places still left. I was carried away with the enthusiasm and since I can swim and cycle - like riding a bicycle :) - the following morning the application was sent off and as a result on July 5th I have to swim 1,500m, cycle 45k and run 10k. I had considered entering a Tri at the end of July but "You just couldn't wait could you".
.
Perhaps I should have read some on the course description first -
.
"Not one for the faint hearted and definitely one to test the strongest tri-althlete".
To add to the anxiety I got an e-mail from the race orgainsers confirming my entry and stating that:
.
"Hope you are all training hard cos this course will hurt!"
.
There's no time for a training programme other that a quick prayer before the start - so I am just doing some base training on the bike and I bought a wetsuit as it is compulsory for the swim (no one can tell me why). There's all sorts of rules relating to drafting, nudity etc that can cost you penalty minutes - somehow running appears far less complicated.
.
Mon 9th June
5.25 Miles in 41:44 (07:57 pace, no HRM)

7 comments:

  1. Yes, running is less complicated, but the triathlon gig is a blast. I was a die hard runner until I did my first tri, which by the way was a half iron man, and now I am consumed by it! Your fitness level and ability to swim will make this a snap for you. The rules seem complicated but they are really quite simple. As for the wet suit, you will love it once you see how nice and buoyant you are in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better start doing some bricks - or you'll get jelly legs - I've had the opposite result since the marathon - 30 miles under the belt and a copy of 'brain training etc' in the post. I haven't the heart to tell Finola that the running will get worse before it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard, It's a gradual process. It took a while for Abina to realise that running was not just another fad with me. Did my first brick this morning - not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll have fun Grellan - especially on the bike and the run - passing heaps of people. I've done one OD tri many years ago, I think about 2hrs 35, so there's a target for you ;)

    With strong resistance (and Irish weather) you won't get hooked.

    Down here, they won't let us wear wetsuits unless the water temp gets below a certain level (not very often in summer). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing a swim part of a triathlon relay that day too! Good luck with it! (The bouyancy in the wetsuits is great!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever you do, don't drown!

    There's a photo of you from the Cork City Marathon at the Eagle AC website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for the tri. I've often thought the same re: running.... beauty in simplicity.

    ReplyDelete