Sunday 6 January 2008

In the Groove

Saturday was my third day this week without running - a record. I opted instead for a 31 mile 2 hour cycle with Adrian to give the running muscles a bit of a rest after the heavy week.
.
My legs were reasonably fresh going into this mornings 10 mile Road Race in Mallow. I travelled the 24 miles to Mallow with my next door neighbour, Pat. I decided to give it a go as I had never done a 10 miler and I had a low 28 miles recorded for the week to-date, so I should be fresh following my rest day. My targert was sub-68 minutes (McMillan says that 67 is achievable on a good day) and Pat's was sub-75 minutes.
.
Following registration Pat and I jogged the mile to the start line and I did another half mile out and back to give a 2 mile warmup. The morning was reasonably cold (+1C) so I initially togged out in two tops (1 long sleeved), a wooly hat and gloves. I soon ditched the hat followed by the long sleeved top as the sun made an appearance close to the start time (1230hrs).
.
500+ runners turned out on the day from all over the province - this is the first of the Munster 10 Mile series (4 in all - 1 a month between January and April)
.
I placed myself mid-pack as I did not want to get carried out too fast. I guessed that Pat was somewhere in front of me as he tends to start fast (he did the same last week in the Bandon 5 miler)
.
The gun sounded and we were off. I maintained a reasonably steady pace from the gun and did not surge back or forth to keep pace with others. The first mile had a bit of a climb which was maneagable. Approaching the first mile mark I pulled alongside Pat. Mile 1 in 06:37, a bit faster than my target pace - way too fast for Pat's target & he knew it.
.
We wished each other luck as we headed into mile 2.
.
5 yards ahead I spotted the girl I had passed at the 4 mile mark in Bandon last week - "she'd be good to pace off" I thought. But she pulled ahead 10 yards and then 20. I did not give chase as it was too early in the race for surges and the like. "Get at least to the five mile mark before thinking abount any heroics" was my strategy.
.
Mile 2 in 06:43. Steady pace feeling reasonably comfortable. Girl in front still 15-20 yards off.
.
Mile 3 was a net downhill mile along the main Road - feeling comfortable - concentrating on the quick leg turnover as opposed to the long stride lengths of those around me. Mile 3 in 06:18.
.
The route turned west along the Killarney Road at about mile 3.3. I was now running very comfortably "in the groove" so to speak and decided to maintain pace/effort (assuming the groove lasted) until at least mile 8 before thinking about making any kind of move. I was now within 3 or 4 yards of the girl in front and thought I would tag along for as long as possible. However at mile 4.5 I found myself passing her and others as the "groove" carried me forward. While initially I thought I was speeding up, miles 4 and 5 in 06:34 & 06:40 told me they were slowing down. I got a mouthfull of water into me at the water station at mile 4.5 (drinking out of plastic cups is a tad difficult at sub 7 minute pace.)
.
Halfway mark in 32:52. "Just under 66 minute pace" the time keeper said as we passed.
.
"Christ 65 minutes isn't that far ahead of 66" - hold on let's see how far this "groove" carries me before I get carried away :).
.
Mile six turned south and east back towards Mallow along a minor road. A light rain began to fall at this stage -cold but relieveing. The road snaked it's way through the countryside with a few minor rises and falls. Mile 6 in 06:34. Mile 7 in 06:52 - this "groove" has carried me as far as it can - I'll have to inject a bit of my own effort to keep the pace up.
.
With 3 miles to go I increased my effort slightly so as to maintain pace. I was passed by one guy at this point but was still managing to pass one or two runners every half mile. Spilled a cup of water everywhere except down my gullet at the 7.5 mile water station. I'll have to take drinking classes.
.
Mile 8 in 06:27. Pace injection working.
.
2 miles to go - is 65 minutes still within my range - just under 53 minutes on the watch with 2 miles left - 13 minutes (06:30 pace) won't even do - it'll be a push to get under 66.
.
Push, Push, Push - pass a few more runners - Mile 9 in 06:35. Need to push some more.
.
Last mile - push, push - the groove is long gone, it was good while it lasted. Into the town, left over the bridge - push, push.
.
There's Nollaig Hunter ahead (03:15 marathoner, over a minute ahead of me in last sunday's five miler), I must be doing good.
.
"Just around the corner and up the hill" I hear someone shout. "Hill - you must be joking" I thought - but it was just a gentle rise over 100m to the finish.
.
I pass 3 or 4 in the final 200m, including Nollaig and get passed back out by three guys racing for the finish line. I push with all i've got and hold off another 2 guys to cross under the line - well that's if I could see a line - just kept pushing until one of the stewards told us to slow down - stopped the watch - 06:15 for the final mile - 65:35 in total.
.
My official time was recorded as 65:38 ( ok lets say 06:18 for the final mile). Very evenly paced run with 32:52 for the first 5 miles and 32:46 for the second 5. (Avg 163 HR)
.
Pat came in in 71:40something which was well under his target of 75.
.
A 3 mile cooldown, a shower, cup of tea, sandwiches and biscuits back at race HQ and I was ready for home.
.
The race was won in 53:15.
.
This is certainly a minor breakthrough of a run for me as my best prediction on Mcmillan gave 66:57. I liked this "groove" thang that I got into between miles 2 and 7. While the effort was more noticeable for the last 3 miles it was only the last mile that was really stressful.
.
The 15 miles today gave me 43/44 miles for the week. I'm not too bothered as the marathon programme I'm on doesn't demand higher mileage at this early stage (only I do).
.
oh and first PB of the year. (that's it now no PB's for a few months - 5k in March, 10k in April, HM in May & M in June)

4 comments:

  1. Holy Cow Batman, that was some grooving! Very nice race and report that will give you some good feedback about training paces and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good race Grellan! 65:38 is really hiking for 10 miles. Being in the groove certainly paid off.

    Don't forget to update your side-bar with the new PB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was some groovy race - well done!

    Congrats on the PR, what a great way to start the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the race, well done!

    ReplyDelete