Friday 4 January 2008

Cold, Wet and Windy

Temperatures finally dropped below freezing last night giving an overnight frost. However this gave way to driving rain and heavy gusts in the morning before I headed out on my second speed session of the week. This time 6 miles with 8 x 45 second reps at mile pace "sprinkled in" (no hills - so this should be manageable).
.
I intended to run an 11.4 mile road loop (the final 5.4 "filler" miles being at an easy pace) but the minute I stepped on the pavement - "whoa" I was slip sliding all over the place. As it was raining steadily I had not expected icy conditions.
.
I quickly decided to head for the park, where at least I could run without too much fear of slipping. I don't have the steady legs of some of the more accustomed runners out there. I made it the mile to the park in a slow jog walk, keeping to the grass verge where possible and completed 4 x 2.35 mile loops with my 8 fast reps in the first 2 loops (4 on grass/mud and 4 on gravel). I must say it was the wettest, muddiest and one of the coldest runs I have ever completed. The only dry spots left on my return were my inner ears after pulling out my earphones. While the speed reps went reasonably well my legs were very heavy and dead during the warm down miles.
.
I reckon I haven't fully recovered from Sunday's Race, Monday's/Tuesday's tummy bug and Wednesday's Hill reps.
.
11.4 Miles in 01:37:40 (08:34 pace @ 137 HR including 8 x 45 seconds @ 06:00- pace).
.
The HR says it all. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I may give Sunday's 10 miler in Mallow a miss. I have to think of my long term training goal.

2 comments:

  1. Icy... what's that? OK, we do get frosts in winter, but I don't run in the mornings :)

    Nothing like short 'sprints' to get the HR up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. We both wanted to run in Mallow, and now it looks like we're both giving it a miss.

    ReplyDelete