Sunday 11 January 2009

On target, but just.

I had set myself a 65:xx minute goal for today's Mallow 10 mile road race, in that I would be happy with such a time given my aerobic only conditioning. Anything below would be a welcome bonus and anything above would be a poor day. So my 65:51 official result was not disappointing, although it felt much more strenuous than last years 65:38. I met up with Brendan and Thomas before the race and as I led them on a warmup I remarked that this would be the only time I would be in front of them today and how right I was. I was also right about my prediction in my comment on Thomas's last post than He and Brendan would lead me out over the first mile While the first mile (06:37) was reasonably comfortable as I kept within sight of Brendan and Thomas I lost sight of them as they got swallowed up in a large group in front of me. That was the last I saw of them. Mile 2 in 06:42 saw us turn left onto the Cork Killarney road where I kept pace with Nollaig Hunter of Leevale as we took advantage of the hill and a tailwind to give me my fastest mile of the day in 06:08. Shortly after the 3 mile mark we turned west along the Kilarney Road where the wind was slightly against us. My pace was fairly steady as I slowly reeled in and passed a few runners. Mile 4 in 06:30. A quick drink of water at the 4.5 mile mark and a steady pace towards the halfway mark. While my pace was reasonably confortable I felt that if I increased it I would suffer sooner rather than later. The clock at the halfway mark showed 32:41 as I passed (Garmin gave me a 06;41 mile 5 for 32:38). "11 seconds off 65 minute pace" I thought. "If I remain comfortable I just might make it". Turning left off the main road along the minor country road towards the 6 mile mark I knew that everything wasn't going to remain comfortable unless......unless............ I slow down ..........well stop really, which was very tempting. Mile 6 in 06:34. 65 minutes slipping away. It will take a concentrated effort to get the sub-66. I was still reeling in one or two runners during mile 6 but that all changed during the undulating mile 7 where I got passed by 3 or 4 in a row. Mile 7 in 06:50 (slowest mile). A guy came up on my shoulder shortly after the 7 mile mark. "It's a well organised race isn't it" he said. "Watering stations and all". All I thought was this guy must be very fresh if he can chat. I exchanged a few words with him just to show that I could also talk. Funnily enough after than he fell back and I never saw him again, which gave me renewed energy as I hit a slight downhill and powered ahead to the Mile 8 mark in 06:34. Two of the guys who passed me out during mile 7 were 10 yards ahead. It took a concentrated effort to maintain pace (no talk of acceleration) as we entered Mallow, under the road flyover and up an incline to the 9 mile mark. Mile 9 in 06:34. This is when things really started to hot up as runners behind began to put in a bit of a kick and I was passed by about 2 or 3. I had no answer as they accelerated past and quickly put distance between me and them. I was unintentionally playing cat and mouse with one guy from mile 8 to the finish - me at my steady pace and he surging every time I passed him. He kept pace behind me as we crossed the bridge with a half mile to go. I was just able to keep a steady strong pace counting down strides to the finish line - no kick at all as I could not respond to the sound of footfalls behind me over the last 100 yards as first I got "chicked" and then saw my cat and mouse partner put in a very strong surge as he sailed past me and the "chick". But while I was momentarily upset I was glad to be finished. Mile 10 in 06:26 (not much of a final surge - It's all in the speedwork - hopefully). Both Brendan and Thomas had a much closer race 3 minutes in front of me but less than 10 seconds apart - well done to both of you - fantastic times. Well done also to Eagles Rhona Lynch who took first female spot in 01:01:16 and Pat Twomey who took the first M55 spot in 01:05:39 after having to stop and tie his shoelace halfway through. If he stopped and tied the other one I may have caught up with him. Sat 10th Jan 5.26 Miles in 43:11 (8:12 pace @ 141 HR) HR in the 170's for the first 1.5 miles and in the 120's teherafter Sleep: 8 hrs 8.5/10 Legs: 8.5/10 Sun 11th Jan 15.4 miles with 10 miles in 01:05:51 (06:34 poace @ 166HR) Sleep: 8 hrs 8.5/10 Legs:7/10 Conditioning week 8 (Run 66.79 miles, Bike NIL, Swim 1.5k)

11 comments:

  1. Good race Grellan. The foundation you're building now will likely pay huge dividends down the line.

    Once you get into the subsequent parts of your training, I imagine your race times will drop like a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a good race Grellan. Enjoyed reading your report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report Grellan! You're lucky to have races to run. All we have is snow and more snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad Grellan - although I was hoping you'd have a more exciting battle with Thomas. I was hoping it'd come down to the last mile... could you have run sub-6 I wonder?

    Still, a pretty good race off just easy build-up mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be proud of your performance given your training. You'll make gains down the road with this race in the bag, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it can be a bit frustrating racing when your not quite as fit as you would like! but I'm sure in a couple of months things will be very different and all your base training will pay off!
    here's to the next Grellan - Thomas battle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fairly recent pet hate of mine is someone seemingly jog past you close to the end of a race and then try to engage in conversation. How the hell do they get that far without trying?!

    Congrats on a solid race - onwards and upwards from here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering that this was faster than my previous PB, it's not a bad time at all. And I predict a much faster time in Ballycotton, after some speed training (and the race in Dungarvan).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grellan - Great effort in pulling in the 65:XX you were shooting for. Incredible fortitude!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Grellan

    Congrats on a great race! Considering that you have had a few struggles, I think that this should be a VERY acceptable result.

    Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good race again Grellan. Very impressive time given that you are just starting your training cycle again.

    ReplyDelete