Thursday 4 March 2010

Good To Go?

A week without running felt a bit weird. I continued to use the foam roller on the calves and went for a sports massage on Monday evening - again the only tight spots appeared to be on my left calf. Still I decided to invest in pair of compression socks yesterday before my trial MP run. Unfortunately when I took them out of the box a magnetic security tag was attached to one of them. Undaunted I ran with the tag still on (couldn't prise it off - had to return to the shop today to get it off) anyone looking on would have thought they fell off the back of a lorry.
I ran for just over 5 miles with 2 at target marathon pace - the garmin was set to instantaneous pace as opposed to lap pace, which resulted in a marginally slower pace of 6:51/56 for the 2 miles, which i'm not bothered about. Nor was I concerned with the harder than normal effort involved (put it down to taper niggles). However of more concern was the tightness in my calves particularly my right during the run and which carried into today and while it was nowhere near uncomfortable that may not be the case over a longer distance. However my intention on Sunday is to give it a go and see what happens. A slower than marathon pace opening mile (7:00 to 7:15 range) will hopefully help me ease into the race and i'll take it from there and see what the road throws at me.
If Gary, who commented on my last post, wishes to meet up before the marathon, send me a mail at grellan.mcgrath@gmail.com or ring me on 087-6394108 or i'll be wearing the black Eagle AC singlet at the start line, if I can find it (although I signed in for the 3 to 3:30 pen - may have to duck under the tape to the sub 3 pen.)
Wed 3rd March
5.30 miles in 38:33 (7:17 pace @ 136HR) with 2 MP miles @ 6:51/56.

6 comments:

  1. At least you tried the socks before going through airport security ;)

    Baring warm-up accidents you'll make the start. Can't do more than take it k by k and see how it goes. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck Grellan (and pass onto Pat as well).

    Looking forward to reading the report.

    Enjoy it.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, Grellan. I'm sure you'll have a good race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the vest, mate, and may the calves hold out for a sub-3 marathon! At the very least I know you'll give it a good go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping your body hold out and you finish in good shape :]
    The compression socks sound like a good idea.
    only bit of advice i can give is try to relax your lower legs as much as possible.
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck Grellan, awaiting the report with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete