Sunday 4 November 2007

2nd PB in less than a week

Not only did I get 2 PB's within a week but also on consecutive runs. Sounds great until I say that I ran my first 4 mile race today - so as long as I finished I was guaranteed a PB. This was my first run after the Dublin Marathon so I took it fairly easy. I just thought it would be easier to run in the company of others - and so it was.
.
I cycled the 8 miles to the race start with Adrian (who continued on cycling - his new passion) and signed up for the first of 3 local Business Houses Athletic Association 4 mile road races. As the company I work for had recently signed up and this was the first time we were fielding a full team (3 in all - Brendan, Tony and I) I was kinda under very slight pressure to turn up (Tony had told me that it wouldn't be very difficult to get on the bottom rungs of the team ladder - had to start somewhere)
.
I started at the back of the pack of about 300 runners as my only aim was to finish without pulling one of a number of tight leg muscles. I soon found a rhythm at about 8 minute pace and ran alongside John Quigley whom I know from Eagle AC (founder I think). He had competed in a cross-country masters championship the day before and was running easy - suited me perfectly. The first mile split was 08:00 - legs felt ok but I knew not to push the pace.
.
John had been supporting in Dublin and commented that I had probably not seen him at the 24 mile mark as I appeared to be suffering a bit - I said that, while I had spotted him at 10 miles by mile 24 I wouldn't have spotted an elephant in front of me.
.
Mile 2 in 07:52 - pace still ok. Although I could feel tenderness in various places it was not uncomfortable. We passed a few runners who had started out a bit more enthusiastic than their 4 mile capability, but we remained closer to the back of the pack.
.
Mile 3 in 07:56 - heading for under 32 minutes for a soft 4 mile PB. Over the last mile the pace increased slightly and as we came to within 400m of the line John said I could "go for it" if I wanted to - I declined - this would be just the sort of stunt that could cause a serious injury and would lay me up for weeks and for what? - there was no glory to be had in beating 31 minutes. We came in under the clock in 31:09 (07:47 pace) well behind our best but an enjoyable run all the same. While I completed the run without too much drama it did highlight a number of tender areas that are not 100% after Dublin (left hamstring and right calf in particular). I will take it easy over the coming week and ease back gradually.
.
My 4 mile PB pace is slightly slower that my marathon PB pace of 07:43 - with 2 further 4 milers over the next 6 weeks I should have that anomaly resolved by Christmas .
.
Brendan finished in a very good time of 24:30 (06:07 pace) and Tony came in under 30:00 (sub-07:30 pace). I hope my third place finish gets us on the team results (we'll see)
.
John had told me about the death of Ryan Shay at the US Marathon trails in New York yesterday - we both couldn't believe that this could happen to an elite runner especially so early in the race (5.5 miles). We were stunned - don't know what to say other than our hearts go out to his wife and family.
.
On a positive note I sat back and watched the NYC Marathon in the afternoon. It was thoroughly enjoyable and nail biting to watch Paula Radcliffe battle it out with Geta Wami for the women's title and Martin Lel take the Men's title in similar fashion. I have been reading Paula's autobiography over the last few days (full of highs and lows - as with most of our own modest running careers) The title is "My Story So Far". Obviously the story is far from over as she heads into the Beijing Olympics as one of the best women's marathoners of all time.
.
Sun - 4 miles in 31:09 (HR @ 148)
.
Mile 1 in 08:00 (139 HR)
Mile 2 in 07:52 (144 HR)
Mile 3 in 07:56 (151 HR)
Mile 4 in 07:21 (161 HR)
.
The higher than normal HR shows recovery is ongoing. RHR this morning was 43, down from 46 on wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. There was an article about Ryan Shay that said he was diagnosed with an abnormally enlarged heart as a 14-year-old, which was worse a few years later. Sounds like that was the cause, which of course doesn't make it any easier for his family.

    That's a nice soft PB. Good to see the RHR back to normal ;)

    ReplyDelete