Thursday 8 March 2012

What's Next?

Recovery from Ballycotton has gone pretty well. While the ball of my left foot was quite tender it did not prevent me from running on it, albeit in normal running shoes. With the Connemara ultra now less that 4 weeks away I have only planned 3 specific runs between now and then.
.
The first and only ultra specific run is this weekends long run, where I hope to run 30 miles or so (3:45 to 4 hours hopefully). This time i'm planning on taking on some fluids and maybe even a gel or 2.
.
The second, on the following weekend (Bank Holiday Monday), is the Mallow 10, where I hope to break my 10 mile PB, given my Ballycotton performance. I know Paul advised caution so close to Connemara, but I think 13 days should be enough for recovery - i'll see how Ballycotton impacts on this weekends long run and reassess.
.

Cresting the Incline @ Mile 7

.

My third planned run is a final 5 mile constant HR evaluation run a week before Connemara to assess my aerobic fitness before race day. All my other runs will be based on feel with a few faster paced runs if the mood takes, always mindful of erring on the side of caution during the Connemara taper.

.
.

4 comments:

  1. Nice plan, Grellan. Hope the left foot continues to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 13 days is plenty of time to recover from a 10 mile race. If the course (and weather) is favourable I reckon you could challenge Thomas's recent PB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still wear your supermarket shoe?
    You should do really well in the ultra but which shoes will you run in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick the supermarket shoes are near the end of their life (about 500 miles. I plan on wearing a pair of Asics Gel Hyperspeeds for the Ultra (about 150 miles on the clock) - ran 30 miles in them last weekend, no bother.

    ReplyDelete