Tuesday 20 July 2010

Resurrection

My Garmin returned from the dead this morning with the screen coming back to life as if nothing had happened. So 2 days without stats isn't all that bad. Sunday's long run was followed up by an easy five miler in the park at lunchtime on Monday. This evenings track session was a repeat of last weeks with 5 x 1248m (lane 3) in 4:30 on the cards. I thought about adding a half lap to each rep so as to make it a bit more challenging but instead settled for reducing the recovery from last weeks 3 minutes to 2:30. By the 3rd interval I was feeling the pressure and briefly though about cutting the session short to save my legs for the third 5 miler in the Ballycotton summer series on Thursday. However I persevered and actually felt a bit more comfortable on the 4th and 5th intervals. 4:30/29/30/28/29.
After a few laps warmdown and a few stretches I joined the rest of the club members for the last of their fast 400's (4 x 400m with full recoveries of 7 mins approx). They seemed to be having such fun I thought I'd have some too. They were split in three groups with each group going off at 5 second intervals. I joined the middle group having the double incentive of a few hares out front and a few hounds behind. I ran a steady fast pace with the group for the first 200m before testing whether or not I had anything left in the cupboard and found myself going off the front around the bend. Before I caught the hare in front I was passed by the fastest hound. I gave chase down the home straight passing the hare and not losing any ground to the hound in front while keeping ahead of the second hound behind me. I neglected to time the lap but the hound behind me said that I was about 2 seconds ahead of his 65 seconds - but as I started 5 seconds ahead of him that gave me 65-2+5 = 68 seconds and since we were running in lane 3 that equates to a 65 second 400m, which is faster than I thought i'd do.
.
The coach was putting them through these 400's over the last few weeks in preparation for a few track races over the coming weeks - Cork Graded Track and Field at the Mardyke Track on July 27th, Munster Masters on August 1st at the Mardkye Track (100, 200, 400, 800, 1500 & 3000m) and Rising Sun Sports Day on August 2nd @ CIT Track (100, 200, 400 & Mile).
.
Next race for me is the Churchtown South 5 miler on Thursday - the 3rd of the 4 Ballycotton Summer series. My number for the race is 63 - which means 13 runners will have to drop out or lose enough time to me over the final 2 races for me to win that all important T-shirt. The real battle will be between fellow club runners John and Pat (currently 51 & 52), with John leading by a second going into the race on Thursday - a bit like the Tour De France.
.
The toe on my right foot, that I stubbed while barefoot running last saturday week, continues to cause some discomfort - perhaps I should ease up and give it time to mend.
.

4 comments:

  1. 65 sec = my training P.B. set many years ago, you seem to be gaining speed fast, which should mean a new P.B. in your 5 miler.
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's good for a 400 in training. All the best for the 5 this weekend.

    Good news about the Garmin too. I'm thinking maybe they're not as waterproof as they're cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wishing that the same thing as happened to your garmin happens to Ewen and he comes good again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha Scott. I was never good in the first place! If I go any badder they'll be tossing me out with the stale fish.

    ReplyDelete