Friday 16 July 2010

Easing off

While I had plenty of energy at the start of the week there wasn't much left by the time I got to my Thursday evening quality session. Of course I didn't help it by setting my target tempo pace a little faster than I should have. Perhaps it was the presence of all the speedsters at the track doing fast 200's that spurred me on.
.
While Daniels recommends a 6:26 mile tempo pace for me, my last session of 3 x 10 minutes at T-pace had yielded a pace between 6:13 & 6:20. So based on this I was aiming for 6:16 pace. This is my 10 mile PB pace and after all Daniels say T-pace is the pace you can race for about an hour (close enough). What I failed to realise was that currently I can't race 6:16 pace for an hour - I can just about manage 30 minutes (last weeks 5 mile PB was at 6:14 pace).
.
The programme called for 3 x 10 to 12 minutes (2 miles) at T pace with 2 minute recoveries. I aimed for the 2 miles and as I was at the track that changed to 3 x 8 laps in lane 3 @ 97 second laps (i.e. 3 x 12:56 @ T-Pace) . The first session went fine - 12:56 on the dot (I had the track to keep an even pace). I felt tired going into the second session and was down 5 seconds on pace 2 laps in - that increased to 12 seconds halfway through. I covered another 2 laps before calling it a day - no point in pushing the pace. My legs felt heavy, which is the last thing I wanted 36 hours before the Lough Ine Tri. The fact that I was running in full trainers and socks in the rain did not help the motivation. I took off the shoes and socks and warmed down over another 8 laps and left it at that.
.
I don't have any great expectations for Saturday's Tri other than to beat last years time of 2:41:12 and get under the 2:40 mark. I don't expect an improvement in the swim/run so it'll have to be on the bike this time. Hope my transitions hold up.
.

2 comments:

  1. Are you doing the same again as last year, when you trained for a tri all summer and then had a short, sharp few running weeks until Dublin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get the sub-2:40, and the European heat-wave returns for at least the swim leg :)

    Being near enough to the Daniels' paces for a particular session would be fine - you're still getting the benefit of the session.

    ReplyDelete