Saturday 4 April 2009

"A 20 mile warmup followed by a 10k Race"...........

..........is one definition of a marathon - and since I am training for one I thought I might incorporate these two elements into this weekend's workouts. I completed my 20 mile warmup this morning and plan (legs permitting) to follow it with the UCC 10k tomorrow morning in lieu of my weekly tempo run (I took Friday off - didn't even get my planned bike ride in). Needless to say I won't be looking for a PB but a good solid run in the company of others at close to 6:30 pace (although I'd be hoping that the race number would be enough to pull me under the 40 minute barrier (06:24 pace).
.
I started this morning's run by completing the hilly rural Maglin/Knockburden/Ballinora/Waterfall loop I did with the Eagles two weeks ago, except I started from home and joined the route at the 3 mile mark and left it again at mile 12.5. The sun was shining and I turned off the music to appreciate the rolling countryside (and to listen out for the numerous dogs we encountered last time out). As it turned out I didn't encounter one dog as all the farmyards I past were a hive of activity (milking machines humming, tractors idling, cows mooing) and the dogs were busy helping out - it was about 30 minutes later in the day compared to my last outing and my footfalls could not be heard above the morning cacophony.
.
This time out the hills felt somehow easier and were over quicker (familiarity is everything) and by mile 7 I was cruising downhill towards Ballinora. I managed to get up quite a pace on the gradual descent and clocked a relatively fast 6:26 9th mile as I concentrated on relaxed running and let myself fall with the gradient keeping my feet under me and landing on my mid foot. By mile 12 I was down to 7:30 average pace for the run and pretty much maintained that pace to the end taking in the path alongside the Curraheen river between UCC Farm and the Straight Road (never ran it before - almost 3 miles in total, broken only by crossing the Model Farm Road at Rossbrook/Tennis Village - a bit of a suburban oasis). My legs are understandably achy this evening but they should be sufficiently recovered for tomorrow's "tempo race".
.
My mid-week long run was another early morning effort in which I managed to cover 16 miles - this early run feels tough - it's one thing rising over 2 hours earlier than normal but to spend those 2 hours running is surely against the natural rhythm. The easy run on Thursday morning was certainly easy , which I am increasingly convinced is the way to prepare the body for the hard days.
.
Have a good weekend and race well tomorrow where ever that may be.
.
Wed 1st April
a.m. 16 miles in 2:03:21 (07:43 pace @ 134HR)
p.m. 2.5 miles in 19:50 (07:56 pace) Treadmill
.
Thur 2nd April
8.58 miles in 1:14:17 (08:39 pace @ 123HR) - HR a bit all over the place as frosty morning affected monitor
.
Sat 4th April
20.79 miles in 2:35:21 (07:28 pace @ 144HR)
.
.

5 comments:

  1. A very impressive training run, but not what I would have done on the day before a race. I was about to wish you good luck for tomorrow, but since you have just torpedoed your own chances of a great race, that seems unnecessary.

    Nevertheless, enjoy the race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good run tomorrow. Rotterdam is the usual mix of hotel room and pre-race anticipation. If I see any pasta between now and next week I'll go mad. My only fear now is a km run while my brain does the mile split conversions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fear Thomas - I never intended racing the 10k. The 20 miler is far more important training.

    Best of luck Richard - let us know how you get on, warts and all. I sometimes wonder how much the pastafest improves performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the definition Deek used.

    You might have to do a 5k warm-up before the race to get the stiffness out of your legs!

    It'll be a good test. Lisa Ondieki once ran a 20 miler the day before winning the Aus 15k road championships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like the thought process behind the work out schedule (20 miles - 10 K race. I think that is about as good a race simulation as you can get. Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete