Friday 8 January 2016

From humble beginnings............

It is 10 years to the day since I first put on a pair of runners and stepped outside my front door to run the 2 mile loop around the block as my first training session for Dublin City Marathon 2006, having committed to running the once in a lifetime event with Adrian over the Christmas holidays. The first 200 yards felt effortless as we glided along. Half a mile in we could feel the fatigue setting in and our early brisk pace had slowed to a jog. By the time we had completed a mile we were struggling and wishing for the finish. 1.5 miles in Adrian stopped and walked but I struggled on until the 2 miles were complete. Two day later we completed the same loop with much less stress, at 2 minutes per mile slower - my first lesson in pacing, although I didn't know it at the time.

Since then I have covered about 22,500 miles on foot and learned a few lessons about myself along the way..............and had some fun!


4 comments:

  1. Glad to have been witness to some of it. Inspired and encouraged by you Grellan. Happy Anniversary! I'd be interested to hear about the "lessons about yourself" you've learned along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Grellan, similar dates re our running paths and 10 years for me also albeit in October this year, it's been a great 10 years for you and inspirational stuff to me , thanks for that , roll on superman and enjoy the journey. All the best Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive chart! I've been at it a lot longer, but you're catching up fast. I'd better pull my finger out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's an impressive anniversary. Congrats! The chart is also no less impressive. You've covered 22, 500 miles! I bet you've thousands of tips and lessons to share.
    Edward

    ReplyDelete