Sunday 28 April 2013

Marathon Training Week 3 of 10

Session 1 - Tuesday (1800hrs - 2000hrs)


16 Mile "Wave Run" - 8 x (1 mile moderate + 1 mile Marathon pace)

Compared to last weeks speed session of 4 x 2 miles @ HM pace the 8 miles at MP this week should be easier - it was billed as the easiest of all the speed sessions. How easy would depend on how hard I ran the moderate miles in between. To make it interesting I targeted 7:20 for the "moderate" miles and 6:40 for the MP miles so as to average 7:00 pace (or less) for the full 16 miles.

I decided to stay away from the track this week as I didn't fancy running 64 laps. I ran from home instead - 7.5 miles out and back and the last MP mile and a 1.1 mile cooldown around a 2.1 mile loop from home. The Garmin was low on power but I could only afford 10 minute of charging as I was already late heading out - hence the out and back, where I had a good idea of all the mile markers and if the Garmin died I'd run hard every second mile and check the overall time on the clock at home. 

The 6:40 pace for the first MP mile felt reasonably comfortable although I had a bit of a race with another guy as he increased his pace when I passed him out and he surged past me. Perhaps he had noticed my increase in pace after my opening mile and thought  I was putting it up to him. I let him off but was contemplating a game of cat and mouse if we were to share the same course but thankfully he pulled off into a cul de sac a quarter of a mile down the road and I was back on my own. While the change in pace was noticeable between the fast and slow miles the effort was very manageable, although by MP mile 5 I had to concentrate to keep the pace from slipping.

The Garmin died at mile 10 (5 miles from home) but I knew where the mile markers were and just ran every second mile fast - probably too fast as I was feeling the pressure a bit more. I made it home with 1 MP mile to do - popped in and checked the wall clock, switched the Garmin for a stopwatch and was out the door again within 30 seconds for a 2.1 mile loop, covering the first mile in about 6:30 before cooling down over the last 1.1 miles. 

My 5 blind miles (11 to 15) were covered in the same time as miles 1 to 5, so I just used the same splits. My average paces were 7:15/6:34 for the moderate/MP miles - a bit on the fast side, which explains why it was not as easy as it should have been, especially over the last few MP miles.

17.1 miles in 1:59:20 (6:58 pace @ 146 Hr for first 10 miles) with 16 alternate miles @ 7:15/6:34 pace.


Session 2 - Saturday (0800hrs - 1030hrs)

21 Mile easy with 3 miles @ MP from mile 12.
 

A beautiful sunny morning with a bit of a nip in the air. 8 of us headed out from UCC Farm for a 12.5 mile club run, with a pace in the  7:20's. Same route as two weeks ago - following the walkway along the the Curraheen River to the Straight Road for a 6 mile loop out to the Anglers Rest and in the Lee Road, then back along the river walk to the Farm, with a few eager beavers forging ahead over the closing stages to sharpen up on their racing tactics.

The last 8.5 miles on my run were on the grass circuit at the Farm - starting into my 3 mile MP section after 13 miles. The northerly wind was a bit off putting when running directly into it but my pace was consistently in the 6:30's (target 6:40) and even dropped into the 6:20s for a spell (with the wind at my back). I had felt a bit apprehensive about how these faster miles would go, given the fatigue in my legs from the first 13 miles and the fact that running fast on grass generally takes a bit more effort. But the increase in pace didn't feel too bad once I got into my stride, although by the time the 3 miles were up I was glad to ease back the pace, which had averaged 6:32.

I also pushed a bit over the closing 5 miles to complete the 21 miles in two and a half hours.

21 miles in 2:30:00 (7:09 pace @ 140 Hr) with miles 14/15/16 @ 6:32 pace & 153 Hr


Weekly mileage - 72 Miles
Avg Weight - 78.9 Kg
RHR - 38 bpm


6 comments:

  1. Solid runs! That 140 heart rate over that distance shows that you're already in pretty good shape!! You'll be flying at few kgs lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I got down to your weight Scott the wind would blow be around the course.

      Delete
  2. Those are pretty damn good sessions you are doing. If your target MP is 6:40, I guess your going for 2:55?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aim is for a more comfortable sub-3 hour and a PB Thomas. So targeting a 6:40 pace gives me a bit of a cushion. Having said that my target training pace ahead of my sub-3 run in Dublin was 6:40.

      Delete
  3. That is serious running - both mentally and of course physically. The looped circuit in Portuma could see you acheive a very good sub 3 finish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Runners Scott's weight are hopeless in Ireland - it's too windy!

    Watch out with that low RHR - could make you suseptable to blood clots ;-)

    ReplyDelete