Thursday 21 July 2011

Speedwork

I took it relatively easy on the running front following the race on Saturday as my quads were sore and achy - downhill running will do that for you. However that changed this evening when I returned to some faster speedwork.
.
I jumped into the middle of the Thursday club session with JP, Joe, Eddie, Rónán, Maura, Pat and a few more who had 1 x 3.2k, 2 x 1.6k and 2 x 800m with 3 minute recoveries on the cards. I missed the opening 2 miles, which was run at about 6:10 pace and therefore was relatively fresh for the 2 x 1 miles @ 6:02 pace each and the 2 x 800 in 2:54/52 (3:00/2:58 in lane 3). My legs felt like jelly for the opening 100m of each of the 800s but they rallied pretty well and I was "relatively" comfortable throughout, even managing a sprint at the end of the final one - I reckoned I covered the last 100m faster than my 100m PB of last Friday.
.
Given that it is a long time since I churned out 6 minute pacework at the track I was very happy with the session. To be quite honest I think I have been slacking over the last 6 to 9 months opting for slower interval paces and avoiding "short" races - perhaps because history has shown that speedwork inevitably leads to injury. Everything in moderation perhaps.
.

Killarney Finish Line (relief)

No comments:

Post a Comment