Saturday 13 September 2008

"Nutters"

From Wednesday to Friday I was attending a conference in Wexford at which I was giving a presentation. In the pub (aptly named the Undertaker - although I think that was the other profession of the publican - which is common in Ireland) on Thursday evening I got talking to a fellow runner, Richard, who is training for the Dublin marathon. I asked Richard was he doing the Blarney half on Sunday to which he replied "Do you think I would be here if I was?". "Maybe I'm not taking this seriously enough" I thought as I stared into my pint of Guinness.
.
Once we got talking about long distance runs, gels, hills, etc. the others in our group looked on as if we were from a different planet especially when Richard started talking about how addictive running can be. "Nutters" someone said as he passed by on his way from the bar - at least there was more than one of us. The following morning Richard gave me one of his "Go" gels that he swears by (doesn't need to be taken with water) So I'll give it a go in tomorrows half - Thanks Richard.
.
In terms of running I completed a 7.7 mile base/recovery pace run on Wednesday morning after the Tuesday mixed intervals.
.
The recovery week programme called for 2 x 2 miles @ HM pace for Thursday morning which I completed on an out and back run from the Hotel out the Rosslare Road. The first 2 fast miles were into a strong headwind and a net uphill which took a lot out of me. I was glad when I turned around and had the wind at my back for the return leg. the fast miles splits were:-
.
06:46
06:56 (uphill section into the wind was tough) - avg 06:51 pace outbound
06:25 (expected faster downhill with the wind)
06:18 - avg 06:22 pace inbound
.
Avg 06:36 pace overall.
.
Two easy 5 milers on Friday and Saturday mornings completed the week ahead of tomorrows Half marathon in Blarney which should see me get my first official sub-90 result - hopefully the first of three PB's between now and Amsterdam.
.
Wed 10th Sept
7.76 Miles in 01:02:41 (08:05 Pace)
.
Thur 11th Sept
9.1 Miles in 01:07:02 (07:22 pace ) with 2 x 2 miles @ 06:37 pace average
.
Fri 12th Sept
5 Miles in 39:42 (07:56 Pace) - TREADMILL
.
Sat 13th Sept
5.36 Miles in 45:56 (08:34 Pace) with Adrian, my old running partner.
.

5 comments:

  1. What do you eat for breakfast?
    Great runs, great time. I really just don't know what and how to eat in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on Sunday - you're sure to hit a great time!

    And BTW - I think you're taking this plenty serious enough. The night before is one thing, but we're talking what a couple pints on Thursday ahead of a Sunday race?? Somehow I think you can get your hydration up enough for a half in 3-days!

    Go kick some arse!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done the training, now enjoy the rewards. Have a great race on Sunday and give Thomas a good scare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on Sunday... you've plenty of miles in the bank. It'll be a doddle to you.

    I was at a running club social in London before I left. A group of lads were running a half the next day and were properly on the booze. I couldn't get over it. They were trying to convice me to do it. Nay chance. I left an after party at 3am and one of them was pouring himself a massive gin and tonic at the time. The lot of them made their 8.30 train and they all ran times faster than 1.20!!! I don't know how they did it, I wouldn't have been able to get out of bed. Absolute nutters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best for a sub-90 race on Sunday. You're only nutters if you don't finish the Guinness as well as completing your training session for the day :)

    ReplyDelete